This week at Whitney’s Kitchen, we are at the tail end of our Walking Challenge! Several of you have been logging the miles for a few weeks now and we couldn’t be more proud! Rather than wait for 2017, many of you channeled my personal motto, “Why not just start today?!” Then, you walked yourselves right into the New Year!
Walking is a favorite workout of mine. Paired with proper eating and plenty of rest, it is one of the BEST exercises you can offer your body.
Why do I love it so much? Well, for starters…
- Almost everyone can do it.
- You can walk alone, with friends, with family OR with a fur-buddy.
- Walking can help you lose weight, OR maintain a healthy weight
- Walking aids in the prevention and/or maintenance of heart disease, high blood pressure AND type 2 diabetes.
- Walking can improve your mood.
- Walking helps strengthen your bones AND muscles.
- Walking helps improve your balance AND coordination.
- Walking can be done indoors OR outdoors.
- Walking sets a GREAT example for the next generation.
The point is, you don’t have to be an Olympic marathoner to be healthy. Triathletes and dancers are not the only folks who get to have strong, lean muscles!
Love yourself and get those steps in. Park in the farthest spot at the grocery store. Walk around the block with your family after dinner and enjoy a relaxing chat. Ask a coworker to join you for a short walk on your lunch break. It isn’t about speed, it is simply about action.
Congrats to all our Challengers! We hope you continue to explore your neighborhoods and keep taking advantage of the treadmills at work (if you are lucky enough to have one)!
Happy New Year to our Whitney’s Kitchen Family!
We wish you all a 2017 FILLED with Good Health, Love and Laughter!