If your answer is strictly because it is before or after you exercise then you need to get stretching!
- It keeps our muscles strong and healthy.
- It increases our flexibility.
- It will help you maintain a range of motion within your joints.
- It can help improve your daily performance.
- It improves circulation.
- It improves posture.
- It improves mobility.
- It helps prevent injuries/reduces risk of injury.
- It helps reduce recovery time.
- Studies are beginning to show that paired with a healthy diet, stretching can also further reduce cholesterol!
If that list is not enough to turn your Pro-Stretching, I don’t know what will!
When should you stretch?
The reality is, ANYTIME you can fit it in! One of the best times of day though seems to be at night. Your body is warm, loose and more pliable in the evenings.
A few quick tips before you get stretching:
- It can be done as often as needed.
- Aim for 5 days per week, but if you hit 7… It’s all good!
- Hold each stretch for 10-30 seconds. Simply relax and count to 10 slowly.
- Do each stretch 3-5 times.
- Keep your stretches smooth and slow.
- Don’t forget to breathe!!
If you need further information, there is a wonderful book called Stretching by Bob Anderson. This book, as with stretching, has withstood the test of time!