I have fond memories of my mom and great Grandma Georgia, making no-bake "drop" cookies every Christmas. Back in the day our cookies started with melted butter and sugar, then add all of the usual suspects; throw in some shredded apple and maybe roll each one in powdered sugar. They were delish!
Years have passed and my passion for avoiding oils, processed sugars, and dairy have nudged me be creative without using harmful ingredients. I might be wrong, but I can't see any glory in making a delicious food using all sorts of foods that have been proven to be "bad" for our hearts and health. That's SOO easy!
What I consider a great accomplishment is to make something totally delish using only ingredients that add health and life to your years. So I hope you find yourself amazed with the simplicity and REAL FOOD ingredients found in these simple no bake cookies!
1/4 c raw coconut or cane sugar
1/4 c stevia for baking
2 T unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
3 T vegan butter
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1 c rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
1/3 c salted natural peanut butter, crunchy or creamy (or sub almond butter)
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
Optional extras : 2 Tbsp crushed salted roasted peanuts or shredded coconut (for topping)
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
2. Melt vegan butter, sugar, stevia, almond milk, and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil that lasts for one minute. Remove from heat.
3. Add peanut butter, oats, coconut, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
4. Spoon walnut sized amounts of hot mixture onto parchment covered cookie sheet. (Consider investing in a 2 T scoop. You'll love it)
5. Sprinkle hot cookies with crushed peanuts or flaked coconut.
6. Keep at room temperature until cooled and hardened. Store in the refrigerator for for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.