At Whitney’s Kitchen, we LOVE our green smoothies! I have to admit, as a runner, nothing tastes better after I return home than my smoothie!
A few months ago I started to do a little research. I have spent countless years chopping vegetables and feeling like I was throwing half of them away. Yet, this is how vegetables were cut all through my childhood. I must be doing it right… Right?
With a little investigating, I learned that I was throwing away what is sometimes the HEALTHIEST part of the vegetable! Those leafy greens!! Don’t get me wrong, I was not quite ready to make celery green soup, but I must be able to use them in something.
My Solution was simple. Whip them up in the blender!
I have (surprisingly) enjoyed celery greens, beet greens and even radish greens in my smoothies! Spinach will always be my #1 favorite green, but it is fun to switch it up once in a while.
Check out some of the things I have learned:
- Celery leaves contain 5 times the nutrients of the celery stalks!
- Celery is known for aiding in bone, joint AND ligament health.
- Beet greens supply protein, zinc, AND are an awesome source of fiber.
- Beet greens are packed with antioxidants AND vitamin B6.
- Beet greens are naturally low in fat AND cholesterol.
- Radish greens are a source of calcium, iron, magnesium, folate, vitamin A, C, K AND others!!
- Radish greens ARE edible! They are actually the MOST nutritious part of the plant!
And to think… I’d spent my entire adult life throwing these ‘vitamins’ away!!
Next time you chop up vegetables, stop and investigate. You might be able to use more of it than you realize! I have even found recipes for things like radish green soup. Who knew that was even a thing?!
Happy blending my green smoothie friends. Don’t forget to check out our smoothies section on the website if you need more ideas for your blender!